The Hixson-Lied College uses NU systemwide tools to provide remote management and support for computers and iPad and Android tablets. We use these Client Management Tools (CMT) to support the college-owned Macs, Windows PCs, and tablets assigned to you.
The tools include JAMF Pro for Macs and iPads, and Microsoft SCCM for Windows devices.
Where are the tools installed?
Staff and lab/classroom computers are automatically enrolled.
Faculty members have the choice to participate. The Faculty Senate and UNL Information Technology Services policy states that client management tools may only be installed on faculty computers if the faculty member opts in to the system. Opt In form.
Why opt in?
When you opt in to the new UNL system, you allow us to continue to provide timely and useful support for Windows PCs, Macs, and iPads. The Client Management Tools let us efficiently:
- deploy new software and updates without interrupting you
- support you remotely via screen-sharing
- gather hardware and software inventory information
- provide Self-Service portals – you can install software on your own schedule
More information: http://its.unl.edu/desktop/client-management-tools
Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQs) Macs and iPads Windows PCs
Will this change who manages my computer?
No. Although NU provides the tools, only the CFPA ITS team will manage your computers. We have our own CFPA section in this NU system.
Mac and College iPad users
Opting in will not change how we support your device. In fact, you'll get new Self Service options.
Opting in will change how we support your computer. We will use UNL's Windows tool (SCCM) to provide services similar to those provided for Macs.
How To Opt In
Go to this link and sign in with your Canvas/email ID and password.
Check the applicable boxes for the UNL devices assigned to you, check the “Opt In” box, and click “Submit.”
You will receive a confirmation email from "My Support - UNL" with your opt-in information.
- You are not required to opt in – If you choose not to, we are required to remove any existing JAMF Pro or SCCM client software from your computer. We will make alternate service arrangements to visit you periodically, or have you bring in your computer for periodic checks and updates.
- Opting in will simplify software management for Macs and iPads, especially apps sold through the Mac App and iTunes App stores. You will be able to update UNL-purchased applications without contacting CFPA ITS for assistance.
Please contact CFPA Help with any questions.